Saturday, February 15, 2014

Disgusted. Not surprised. By Eric Smith

As to this verdict in FL I am disgusted but not surprised. I have zero faith in this country's legal system when it comes to we people of color. As such, at forty eight I feel like a very old man who is living on borrowed time for no other reason than for the color of my skin and the fact that that color reduces me not only to the status of a second class citizen but that of an animal who is one step lower on the evolutionary chain in the eyes of those who administer this country's unfair system of justice. Talk is cheap. The fact is if you're a person of color in general and a male in particular you are a dead man walking no matter how old you are.

There are people out there who want you dead not because of anything you've done but only because of how you look and because your goddamned pigmentation & gender (over which you have zero control) automatically marks you in their eyes as a subhuman beast for whom your death is a case of addition by subtraction. So again, I'm disgusted but not surprised. It is what it is and the only thing worse than living under such an unjust & hellish system is to give up; to give my enemies the satisfaction of going down without a fight and not spitting in their faces as they take me down; defiant in who I am and proud of who and what I am to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment